Monday 28 October 2013

The days after....

It's monday we are running around town trying to get passports sorted, we have only 3 weeks to get this done, I go to the South African Embassy and they tell me it will be 6 weeks for a passport but if I get it done in Johannesburg I can have it in 2, they will give me an emergency travel doc to get there, I book a flight for the next day at noon, I can't take the kids, their passports will take atleast a week, I worry about leaving for a day (and night) but I have to go.

Tuesday morning, Ian comes from the gym, he tells me that a police officer left a message for him there, he recognised him from his passport photo and frequents the gym aswell, they think they have our documents, "God is this you answering my prayers?" Ian gets in the car, he takes Docki that has been working for the Smith family for 20 years with him, the police station is in the outskirts of windhoek and we have been hoaxed like this before, Ian calls me from Docki's phone, our safe was broken open and dumped in a nearby field, someone on their way to work picked up our passports and handed them in on saturday morning already, it was saved from the elements of nature, Ian has gone there and is is searching for more of our documents, he finds a few....my prayers answered and I cancel my flight.

Wednesday....I can't stop crying the reality of the whole situation is really only sinking in now....chin up Danica, chin up, please you have to pull yourself together.

Thursday....some guy on his way from work shouts something at me in traffic, sounds more like a wolf whistle, I try to ignore him as I normally would, turn the music in the car up and just keep smiling but I can't, I want to get out and ask him who he thinks gave him the right to shout and whistle at a stranger, I know I am overreacting, I leave it.

Friday, feeling a bit better today, I spot a pick up in the street opposite our neighbors house, something doesn't sit right, I scribble the number plate down and take a picture...Sherlock Holmes may have competition.

In the afternoon I manage to keep my composure during an interview for African Monarch with a world class journalist, I see Ian is struggling with the anger phase today.

Saturday.... We have a great day at friends, kids are having a blast in the pool, it gets late, I don't want to go home, I'm terrified to relive last weekend and the need not to go home is strong, we decide to stay, 3:30 am we get a phone call, the phone's battery dies, we drive home at around 8am on Sunday, there's security in front of the neighbors house. The burglar bars are cut off, so is the electric fence. I thank God that they weren't home. Here we go again......

No comments:

Post a Comment