Friday 18 October 2013

My friend the fruitbat....

We've been back in Windhoek for a week now, I've spend most of this week trying to get through my emails...not quite gotten there yet, trying to fill up courses and endless committee meetings....normally by friday afternoon as we settle at home with the kids I start longing for the bush, laptop is closed, meetings only after the weekend again and this is when I start to feel trapped. Being in nature to me is like oxygen, I need it to survive. 

I remember how I silently cried on the tube sometimes in London going to work in the dark in winter and returning home in the dark again, sitting in office lighting all day longing to see a ray of sunshine or the smell of the bush at the break of dawn...and the red African sunset..I would not realise this until a tear drops and lands on my latest James Patterson novel. 

I remember the frustration when a message blared over the speaker system that there is delays on the tube because of a person infront of a train and wondering why they can't jump in mid-day when people don't need to get to work and back and then rebuking myself for such a thought, you just so quickly settle into the rush of city life forgetting what life is really about, and then wondering what drove them to that decision....I now know it is because of the capture in the cubicles at work and the confinements of your home due to the somber weather outside and then I long for the caged animals in the zoo's all over the world...being trapped. Yes, trapped is the feeling until you return to Africa with it's wide open spaces and endless horizens!

I think God knows the thoughts running through my mind and this afternoon send me a little friend.....

I found him outside in the garden and decided to name him Blade (original I know) ...


After carefully moving him to the shade and giving him some water as per Edgar ,our training directors advice, this took some coaxing however he accepted my offer and hopefully he will soon rehidrate and find his way home....


My day is complete....

No comments:

Post a Comment