Monday 28 October 2013

And then they broke in.......

So it's last Saturday morning, we wake up at 6am to the cries of our daughter, we're dazed and confused and it kinda feels like a really bad hangover, I'm trying to remember going to bed and I distinctly remember locking the front door, switching on the alarm, taking my jewellery off, removing my make-up, closing our bedroom window and switching on the aircon, my routine, the one I follow every night.

I change Kate's diaper and decide to go to the living room TV with her so that she doesn't wake Alex up and then I scream at Ian.... The TV is gone, the burglar bars are cut off.... Baby someone was in the house!!! My heart is racing, tears are starting to stream down my cheeks... I realise I have Kate in my arms but where is Alex! I run back down the hallway and he's not in his bed, it feels like a wrench is taken to my heart and it won't stop twisting and tugging,  I turn to our room and find him in our bed, utter relief, a sound releases from my lungs, not quite a scream not quite a cry, I was so disorientated when we woke up I wasn't even aware he was next to me, I turn around to find Ian and see the safe is missing, the safe is a mere meter from our bed mounted on the wall.

I hear tires screeching and the gate opening, Ian comes running in the house, in the shock and with my screams he's already been to the CITY Police and back, we have no phones. I fall to my knees and thank God we're alive and that our kids were not taken.

Deon and Dusty is here in what feels like seconds, trying to help, but what to do. We have to sit and take in what just happened the realisation of how violated we feel but also how lucky we are, the fact that we were put to sleep somehow, the bedroom window is wide open. The safe is gone, so is the firearm, our wallets, passports, Id's, drivers licences, clothes, TV, they even took their time and ate the pizza on the kitchen table. Passports.....Oh no our passports! We're flying to AUS in 3 weeks, we have no passports, I pray God please let the police at least find our passports.

Then the realisation hits me that my laptop is gone, I brought it from the office on friday, it was on the dining room table, my work! 5 years of work! My whole project is on that laptop. The day is filled with police officers, crime scene techs and insurance ppl, Jacques and Stefanie arrives, I try to stay strong but difficult in great friend arms, it's late, we go to bed exhausted, we have a guard around the house, every time he passes our bedroom window I wake up in a cold sweat, Ian doesn't sleep.....

No comments:

Post a Comment